Monday, May 25, 2020

Some Abbreviations I Use

First of all, Happy Memorial Day to all! Take some time to think of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for America.
Amazon.com : America's Flag Company American Flag 3' x 5 ...

For today's post, I wanted to share some abbreviations that I frequently use on this blog, so you all have a better idea of what I talk about when I get a little too technical in my writing.

  1. NAM - The North American Mesoscale Model. This short term weather forecasting model is run by the National Centers for Environmental Protection (NCEP) for North America. I like to take a look at this one when making forecasts for within 3 days.
  2. GFS - The Global Forecast System Model. A weather computer model that runs out to 384 hours (16 days). This one is run by the National Weather Service.
  3. HRRR - High Resolution Rapid Refresh Model. This computer model runs and refreshes quite frequently for very short term weather forecasts. This one is also run by NCEP and only forecasts out to 18 hours, but it does so for small areas of the country.
  4. EURO - The European long term weather forecasting model. This one is similar to the GFS, except it is run by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) in Reading, UK.
  5. NWS - The National Weather Service. The American governmental organization that is responsible for all things weather forecasting/ safety/ etc. in our country. The NWS is responsible for issuing Winter Storm Warnings, Tornado watches, etc.
  6. CPC - The Climate Prediction Center. A subset of the NWS that makes long term climate predictions. I like to take a look at CPC models to see how temperatures will trend.
That's it for some of the abbreviations that I use frequently. If I can think of any more, I'll be sure to do another post of this sort.

1 comment: