Monday, May 18, 2020

Ski Season 2019-2020

Something that I love about skiing is how weather-dependent it is and how it gets you outside during what would typically be a grim, cold, and dark time. My love of skiing actually sparked my passion for weather because I would always follow the weather when I was younger, awaiting the next snow and better ski conditions.

One of the biggest perks of being a Middlebury College student is the incredible access to skiing close to campus. This season, I did lots of skiing at the Middlebury College Snow Bowl and Sugarbush Resort, with a little bit at Mad River Glenn as well. I had some fantastic ski days this year, but the season was unfortunately cut short due to the pandemic.

Lets take a look at reported seasonal snowfall totals for areas in VT for 2019-2020:

Jay Peak: 264"
Mad River Glenn: 228"
Smugglers' Notch: 227"
Sugarbush: 209"
Killington: 172"
Stratton: 100"

Although I'm not certain, I believe these numbers are pre-mountain closures, so they likely would've been higher with a few more weeks of operation. As tends to be the case, northern areas were favored for snowfall this winter.

Highlights of the winter included the Feb. 7 snowstorm, when areas saw up to two feet of snow. While it was a powder-filled winter, we had the usual January thaw with rain, which wiped out a considerable amount of snow for the second week of January. And of course, the season was cut short due to COVID-19. To wrap up, here are some photos from my season:
January 30, Middlebury Snow Bowl (Van Barth)

January 2, Ski Butternut


February 22, Middlebury Snow Bowl

January 31, Middlebury Snow Bowl

February 21, Mad River Glenn (Notice Mt. Washington in the background)
Looking through my photos made me realize that I need to take more pictures while skiing. Lets hope for a cold and snowy winter next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment