Friday, January 29, 2021

Colorado Update

I haven't posted quite as frequently as I'd like, but I've been spending as much time outside as possible and enjoying my time in Colorado to the fullest.

Locals say that the region's snowpack is quite thin this year (about 70% of normal) and ski conditions are some of the worst in years, but coming from the east, it's quite good! 

(USDA)

We've seen many days with minor snow accumulations, but no big storms. That makes for fun groomers to ski with some powder stashes that we can find.

My friends and I are based at Beaver Creek, so we've had plenty of fun days there with lots of cruisers and sunshine! I've gotten into skinning at the resort this year, and have been treated to some spectacular sunrises and sunsets while skinning.



I was hoping to venture into the backcountry while here, but with an unstable snowpack, minimal avalanche training, and no true backcountry experience, I think I'll save that for a future year.

In addition to skiing at Beaver Creek, I've had super days at Vail and Breckenridge. Some of the higher elevation terrain at Breckenridge was unlike anything I'd skied in my life!


This weekend, we traveled to Moab in southern Utah to visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. The drive was absolutely spectacular, and we stopped at Fisher Towers on the way. 


We spent the entire day today in Arches National Park, and visiting the iconic Delicate Arch was the highlight of the day. During the busy season, as I was told, 100s of people crowd around the arch and wait in line to take a photo. With only about 10 people there when we arrived in the late afternoon, it was quite serene - and of course, the scenery was spectacular.


I'm excited to visit Canyonlands National Park tomorrow before returning to Colorado for some more fun in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment