Friday, June 12, 2020

Snow...

Happy Friday, everyone! I hope you've found a way to enjoy this spectacular weather day! I'll be traveling over the next week, so my posts on this blog may be a little sporadic over the next few days. But I'll be sure to post about my trip when I return.

Hopefully you didn't get worried by the title of this post. No, it's not going to snow here in New England any time soon, but I did want to mention a few things related to snow, my favorite type of weather.

First, it snowed in Canada today. That's right. On June 12th Canada saw some accumulating snowfall. Here's a look at what they saw.
Snow Precipitation for 6/12 (NOAA)
That area of color in Canada (which comes fairly close to Minnesota and the Great Lakes) is where snow has fell overnight last night into today. And it looks like some areas could have seen almost an inch or two! That's exciting for an area not at elevation for this time of year.

Secondly, heres a look at the country's snow depth map.
Current Snow Depth (NOAA)
While most areas by now have lost their snow pack, places in the Rockies and Cascades (the usual culprits for a deep snowpack) are still holding on to some considerable snow depth. It'll be interesting to see how long this remains and its implications for water in the west, which is struggling with a drought right now.

Sorry for posting about snow in the middle of June, but it's simply something that I love to talk about! 

Enjoy the weekend, and I'll do my best to keep the blog updated as I travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment